Province no. 2 has a lot of potential for religious tourism. There are lots of religious sites in province no. 2 of Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist and Jain religions. The state government has also taken a policy to develop religious tourism in the two states.
We have tried to provide information about the 10 major cultural and religious sites in Province no. 2 .
Janaki Temple is a major religious and tourist site in Province No.2. This huge temple is a center of faith not only for Nepali but also for Hindus all over the world. From a tourist point of view, Janaki Temple is the most visited place in State-2.
Although the Janaki temple was built in 1911, Saint Shurkishore Das of Lohagarh, Central India, discovered Janakpurdham in the 15th century and laid the foundation of the temple. Shurkishore Das was an exclusive devotee of Janaki.
Once he wanted to visit Mithiladham. But he did not know where Mithiladham was. There is a legend that one day Janaki came to him in a dream and showed him the way to Janakpurdham.
It is said that Adi Mahanta Shurkishore Das Vaishnav, who came to Janakpur from Lohagarh in Rajasthan, India in 1417 BS, found a statue of Ram Janaki.
In 1784, King Manik Sen of Makwanpur donated 1400 bighas in the name of Janaki temple.
Later, the childless queen Vrishabhanu Kumari of Tikamgarh expressed her desire to have a son before Janaki. It is said that a huge temple was built after his wish was fulfilled.
Since the temple was built at a cost of Rs 900,000 at that time, Janaki temple is also called Naulakha temple. The foundation stone for the temple was laid in 1894. The temple is believed to have been completed in 1911.
The temple in the central part of Janakpurdham is considered to be an excellent example of human creation. The architecture of the temple is enviable. The temple is spread over 49,555 square feet.
The temple has 60 rooms. During the development of the Licchavi Republic in Vaishali, India, the Mithila civilization had reached its height in Nepal. Apart from Janakpur and Sita, Janakpurdham is said to be the abode of scholars like Yajnavalkya, Gargi and Maitriya.
Voices have been raised for the inclusion of the Janaki Temple in the World Heritage List with its turret, dome, sanctum sanctorum, golden gate, wide clean premises and artistic entrance.
The Dhanush Temple in Dhanushadham Municipality of Dhanusha District is also one of the important tourist destinations for Province No.2.
In the Treta era, Lord Rama broke the bow of Lord Shiva in Sita Swayambhara.
When Lord Rama tried to offer credentials to Lord Shiva’s pinak bow, it was cut into three pieces. A piece falls in the sky, a piece in the underworld and a piece falls on the earth is mentioned in the Valmiki Ramayana.
It is believed that Dhanushadham is the place where a piece of Pinak bow fell on the earth.
Dhanush Temple is located at a distance of 15 kilometers from Janakpurdham, the temporary capital of Province No. 2. It is said that the area was named Dhanushadham and the district was named Dhanusha after the same place.
Visitors from different parts of Nepal and India visit this place which carries the history of Treta era.
Apart from Dhanush Temple, there are other tourist spots in Dhanushadham area such as Dhanushadham Forest and Van Ganga River within Dhanushadham Forest.
Jaleshwar Nath Temple
The Jaleshwar Nath Mahadev Temple in Jaleshwar, the district headquarters of Mahottari, is also of special importance among the tourist destinations of Province No. 2.
The Jaleshwar Nath Temple in the Jaleshwar Municipality in the border region of India is one of the major tourist attractions.
It is believed that the name of Mahadev is Jaleshwar Nath Mahadev as Shiva Ling is under water here. At the bottom of the water-filled cave in the middle of the temple is a linga-shaped water tank with Shiva linga. The same Shijavi in the water tank is called Jaleshwar Nath.
On the day of Shivaratri, a large number of devotees gather here to worship.
In 1869 BS, for the systematic worship of ancient Jaleshwar Nath Mahadev, during the reign of the then King Girwanyuddha Bikram Shah, 275 bighas of land of Vaida Jawdi, Bajrahi, Kanchanpur, Jaleshwor, Damhi Maheshpur and Mahadevpatti of Nitya Savik VDC was given to the then Mahantha with red seal.
Rauja Mazar in Balwa Municipality of Mahottari District is also an important tourist destination.
The site is located at Dhamaura in Mahottari, 15 km west of Janakpurdham, the provisional capital of state-2. For Muslims, Rawza Mazar is a center of faith.
Locals say that the history of the tomb on the west bank of Vighi river is three hundred years old.
Although Islam is a major religious site, it is also frequented by a large number of Hindus.
Devotees who take vows on a daily basis and offer chadors after the vows are fulfilled tend to have a significant number of followers of all religions, not just one.
It is said that at the time when Nepal was divided into twenty-two and twenty-four states, three devotees of Allah, namely Baba Gada Ali Shah, Baba Raham Ali Shah and Baba Wahar Ali Shah, came from Ajmer in Rajasthan, India.
Muslims believe that Baba Khaja Ajmeri of Rajasthan, India may have sent them to provide religious education and information to the Muslim community living in the Mithila area.
Hundreds of devotees from different parts of Nepal and India come here daily. Especially on Mondays and Thursdays. Devout devotees sacrifice chickens and even goats.
Every year in the month of Chait, Ursha Jalsa (religious discourse) is celebrated grandly at Baba’s tomb.
According to the Mazar Committee, more than two lakh devotees are participating in it. On this occasion, about 10,000 goats and more than 15,000 chickens are sacrificed by the devotees.
Salahesh Phulbari / Garden
Salahesh Phulbari in Siraha district is an important place for tourists. This place is famous for its folk hero Salahesh and Haram flowers which bloom only one day of the year.
Every year on the first day of the new year, a white garland-shaped flower blooms for one day on a tree called Haram in the middle of the Salahesh flower garden.
Surprisingly, the flower that blooms on the first day of the new year withers in the evening of the same day. Every year on the 1st of Baisakh, there is a big fair to see the same flower.
The flower garden is spread over an area of nine bighas near Padaria Chowk, 4 km west of Lahan Bazaar in Siraha district. The flower garden is famous as the flower garden of Dusadh and Sahalesh, the favorite deity of Danuwar caste.
The Haram plant in the middle of the flower garden is believed to have been in bloom since the sixth or seventh century.
Under the Haram tree is the cave of the folk deities Sahales and Malini. There is a magnificent statue of Sahales and Malini in the cave. Behind the temple are the wells and the river Baliganga. According to the locals, the well behind the temple is rarely seen.
There is a belief that the vow made there will be fulfilled. Young women have been taking the place as a symbol of love. It is believed that those who marry with the flower as a witness have a happy married life.
King Salhes was known as Lok Nayak. There are many historical sites associated with Salahesh, which is revered for its heroism and manliness, of which Salahesh Phulbari is one.
There is a legend that Salahes used to bathe in Manikdah on the same day, pick flowers in the flower garden, play wrestling in Sylhet arena and listen to the sufferings of the people in Kanchangarh by worshiping Kuldevi.
Salahesh was married to Sameer, daughter of Balatha, a resident of Baruwar in Madhuvani district of bordering India. It is believed that Chandravati, daughter of the then King Kuleshwar of Pakdiyagarh, went to Pakdiyagarh with the help of her classmate Dina Malini.
Since Dina Malini, who loved Salahesh dearly, was not allowed to marry Salahesh, she vowed to appear in the same tree of Haram every year on the first day of Baisakh while waiting for you.
Parasnath temple in Parsa district’s Sakhuwaprasauni village municipality ward no. 5. The temple, which has the potential to attract tourists, is now losing its identity.
It is believed that Parsa district was named after this historical temple. This temple, which is considered to be about four hundred years old, is deteriorating due to lack of proper protection and maintenance.
About 20 km east of Kalaiya, the district headquarters of Bara. The remote Simraungadh is one of the cultural heritage sites of Nepal with a rich historical background. This region was called Baragadhi as it was among the 12 forts from the rise to the end of Mithila.
It is believed that Bara district was named after Baragadhi. Simraungadh is also one of the 12 forts of Bara. In this region of the Republic of Mithila, Simraungadh became the capital after the arrival of the Doi kings in the 11th century.
Exiled Prince Nanyadeva from Karnataka established his rule in 1097 by declaring Tirhut an independent state. Nanyadeva, who fled from a state called Nanyapuri out of fear of the Muslim rulers, made Simraungadh his capital.
During the expansion of the kingdom by King Shiva Singh, one of the Doi kings, the entire territory ruled by the Republic of Mithila extended from Makwanpur, Palpa to Gorakhpur and became famous in folk tales as the hero Sabai Singh.
At the end of the 13th century, Simraungadh was destroyed during the reign of the last Doi king, Harisingh Dev, by a general named Pari Samsuddin, who fell to Lipsa, the kingdom of the Muslim emperor Balwan of Delhi.
King Nanyadev laid the foundation stone for the capital at a place called Simravan in the region and built a huge fort called Simraungadh to establish an independent state. Nanyadev and his descendants ruled the region for 230 years from 1097 onwards. Haridev, one of Nanyadeva’s descendants, became the last king.
King Haridev Singh In 1327 A.D. , some civilians and armies fled from the north to the hills of Nepal.
If the shattered heritage of this historic Simraingadh in State-2 can be protected and promoted, it is likely to be of great benefit from the tourism point of view.
Gadhimai municipality ward no. Of Bara district. The Gadhimai temple at 1 is world famous. The Gadhimai temple in Bariyarpur, eight kilometers east of Kalaiya Municipality, the district headquarters of Bara, hosts a fair every five years from the seventh of Mansir Shukla.
Since the fair is held here in five years, millions of devotees come here. Devout devotees from Nepal and India as well as other countries come here.
There are various legends about the establishment of Gadhimai Bhagwati. According to a legend, the temple was established 800 years ago by Bhagwan Chaudhary of Bariyarpur.
A trident has been installed in the open field of Bariyarpur. To the south of the trident is a temple with a statue of the goddess.
To the east-south of the temple, along with the peepal tree, Brahmasthan is also worth seeing. Gadhimai is welcomed on the seventh day of Mansir Shukla from the Brahmasthal on the east side.
The temple is open to the public only after worshiping the mother for five days. During the fair in this temple, sacrifices are offered only two days in a month. In which thousands of devotees sacrifice animals after fulfilling various vows.
Sculpture / Murtiya
The sculpture in Sarlahi district has historical significance. It is associated with Simraungadh, the capital of the Karnataka dynasty.
A few years ago, the Department of Archeology unearthed several statues at the site. Due to the discovery of historical statues, the place was named as Murtiya. Ramdayal Rakesh explains.
The idols found in this place are kept in a safe place. A special fair is held in the temple on January 1.
Due to its proximity to Barhathwa, one of the largest markets in Sarlahi district, those who reach Barhathwa for business work also visit the idol once.
There is a temple of Chhinnamasta Bhagwati in Sakhada village of Chhinnamasta municipality of Saptari.
Since it is believed that the vows are fulfilled when one reaches Chhinnamasta Bhagwati with various vows, a large number of devotees from Nepal and India come here.
A large number of devotees come to Chhinnamasta during Dashain.
The history of Chhinnamasta Bhagwati temple, which has a lot of potential for religious tourism, is linked to the history of Simraungadh. According to legend, when the Muslim rulers invaded in 1097, the Karnataka king of Karnataka Nanyadev saved his life and reached.